CSTE Position Statement(s)
Clinical DescriptionA sexually transmitted infection commonly manifested by urethritis, cervicitis, or salpingitis. Infection may be asymptomatic.
Laboratory Criteria For Diagnosis
- Isolation of typical gram-negative, oxidase-positive diplococci (presumptive Neisseria gonorrhoeae) from a clinical specimen, OR
- Demonstration of N. gonorrhoeae in a clinical specimen by detection of antigen or nucleic acid, OR
- Observation of gram-negative intracellular diplococci in a urethral smear obtained from a male
- Demonstration of gram-negative intracellular diplococci in an endocervical smear obtained from a female, OR
- A written morbidity report of gonorrhea submitted by a physician